Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Album: Peace In Our Time - Big Country

A good few years ago I was in a charity shop and came across Big Country’s fourth album Peace In Our Time on vinyl for a meagre four euro. I immediately purchased it, brought it home and because I was so taken with the wonderful cover art, I framed it and put it on the wall in the attic. Only recently while tidying the attic did I decide to remove it from the frame and put it with the rest of my collection. I was familiar with about half of the songs from this record through compilations and live albums but I’d never listened to it through. I finally did this during the week and I’m listening again now. That is why I’m now championing this much maligned album.

Big Country have long been seen as done after their first three albums, each with diminishing returns but all still quite brilliant. The Seer featured the nadir of their output in most people’s opinion in the single One Great Thing. It’s actually not that bad a song, fantastic live but the accompanying video was terrible and the drink ad derived from it is probably what most remember. This was the final straw for casual fans who abandoned them and felt justified in their opinion as the lead single from PIOT, King Of Emotion, seemed to continue the style of One Great Thing. The heavier guitars raised suspicions of catering to the American market and selling out. Lies. There are elements of PIOT that are more Scottish and Celtic sounding than anything in their previous catalogue. From Here To Eternity would be one example, Everything I Need would be another. The latter is a beautiful straightforward love song and Stuart’s vocal performance here is wonderful. There’s no arguing there are some rock guitar cliches but they work and they are balanced by incredible musicianship. The quartet are at their peak here. I love the coda of Broken Heart (13 Valleys). The title track has quite a lofty aspiration but why shouldn’t it? Also the intro to this song is one of their best, along with Tall Ships Go from Steeltown, my two favourite intros.

It’s not a perfect album, so few are, but it’s better than history has deigned it to be by dismissing it as a sell out. In This Place belies any notion of Americanisation and showcases Stuart’s slightly hoarse, yearning vocals. Of course it’s my fourth favourite Big Country album but most bands I like don’t even get to a second favourite. Did I mention the cover, it’s gorgeous. It should be in a gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment