Monday, November 21, 2011

The Gig - Mercury Rev - Olympia Theatre

It was the encore that made this gig memorable for me. Quite possibly the best encore I have ever witnessed personally. I didn't recognise the first song initially, the droning Theremin hypnotic in it's looping melody, I was already enjoying it before I realised I was listening to my favourite Rolling Stones song - '2000 light years from home' from their much derided Their Satanic Majesties Request album. The Stones weak riposte to The Beatles St Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Despite it's deserved poor reception it did yield this classic track upon which Brian Jones had cast a spell with his theremin and dulcimer contributions. Listening to it live affirmed my belief in it's brilliance. This would have been enough for me but they then launched into a song by one the architects of St Pepper, John Lennon.' I don't want to be a soldier', an angry anti-war diatribe from Lennon's pivotal 'Imagine' album. Delivered in a style not quite as abrasive or caustic as the original, it became more a plea in Jonathon's distinctive vocal style. None the less powerful though, it was a great song to choose to finish a great performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment